When I turned 40, I decided to take up Track & Field again. I used to do 400m and 800m in my youth (not very successfully) but my studies came in the way and then I rested for 20 years…
Track life has been good so far. I have now surpassed all records from my youth on distances from 60m to 400m, as well as the long jump. Some pictures and stats follow below. If you want to know more about my training, check out my Instagram.
- Born: 1976
- Events: 60m, 100m, 200m, 400m, long jump
- Club: Hälle IF, previously Smögens IF
- 60m (i): 7.28 (2018-01-06, 2019-01-12)
- 100m: 11.25 (2021-06-19)
- 150m: 17.18 (2017-09-03)
- 200m: 22.63 (2021-06-19)
- 200m (i): 23.23 (2018-01-06)
- 300m: 35.48 (2021-08-10)
- 300m (i): 36.86 (2020-11-15)
- 400m: 49.61 (2021-06-13)
- 400m (i): 51.38 (2018-03-03)
- 600m: 1.23.10 (2021-07-24)
- 600m (i): 1.27.27 (2022-11-27)
- Long jump: 6.06 (2016-06-21)
- Standing long jump: 3.00 (2018-12-27)
- Standing high jump: 1.50 (2019-12-27)
- Squat/bench/deadlift: 170/120/190
- Swedish record M40 150m: 17.18 (2017)
Since beaten by Lion Martinez
- Swedish record M40 standing high jump: 1.50 (2019)
- European record M40 4x200m (i): 1.31.27 (2019)
Since beaten by Great Britain
- Nordic record M40 Swedish relay 1000m: 2.01.82 (2019)
- European Record M40 400m: 49.61 (2021-06-13)
- Swedish record M45 600m: 1.23.10 (2021-07-24)
- Swedish record M45 300m: 35.48 (2021-08-10)
- Swedish record M45 300m (i): 36.95 (2021-12-18)
- Swedish record M45 150m: 17.50 (2022-09-04)
- Swedish record M45 600m (i): 1.27.27 (2022-11-27)
- Swedish Masters Championships M40 (Söderhamn 2016): Gold 200m (23.76), Bronze long jump (6.13w)
- Swedish Indoor Masters Championships M40 (Borås 2017): Gold 200m (24.65), Gold 400m (54.60), Gold long jump (6.05), Silver 60m (7.70), Bronze high jump (1.58)
- Swedish Masters Championships M40 (Karlskrona 2017): Gold 100m (11.45), Gold 200m (22.97), Gold long jump (6.00)
- Swedish Indoor Masters Championships M40 (Västerås 2018): Silver 60m (7.38/7.42), Gold 400m (51.38), Silver 200m (23.24)
- Swedish Masters Championships M40 (Högby 2018): Gold 100m (11.22w), Gold 200m (22.83w), Gold 400m (51.05)
- Swedish Masters Championships M40 (Sollentuna 2019): Gold 100m (11.75/11.76), Gold 200m (23.34), Gold 400m (52.44)
- Swedish Masters Championships M45 (Högby 2021): Gold 100m (11.54w), Gold 200m (24.60), Gold 400m (52.19), Gold 800m (2.05.89)
- Swedish Masters Championships M45 (Kalmar 2021): Gold 100m (11.80), Gold 200m (23.80), Gold 400m (52.02), Bronze Javelin (43.20)
- Nordic Masters Championships (Odense 2016): Gold M40 Long Jump (5.84), Bronze M40 200m (23.80w)
- Nordic Indoor Masters Championships (Huddinge 2017): Gold M40 200m (23.93), Gold M40 4x200m (1.33.25)
- European Masters Championships (Aarhus 2017): Bronze M40 400m (52.52)
- European Masters Championships (Venice 2019): Gold M40 4x100m (43.95)
- European Indoor Masters Championships (Braga 2022): Silver M45 400m (52.74)
- World Masters Championships (Tampere 2022): Gold M40 4x100m (44.51)
- Achilles tendonitis 2016-2017. Received excellent treatment in the form of sclerosing injections from Strandortskliniken. Painfree since (fingers crossed).
- Stress fracture in right foot (talus bone) 2017. Painfree after a couple of months of lighter training.
- Stress fracture in right foot 2019 (not confirmed by MR). This was a major setback that spoiled the last half of my 2019 season. Painfree (almost) after 12 months of lighter training (including knee injury).
- ACL and LCL rupture 2020. My worst injury so far happened in a long jump in the Swedish Indoor Masters Championships in February 2020. In my second jump, my foot slid forward on the board resulting in complete rupture of both the ACL (Anterior Crucial Ligament) and LCL (Lateral Collateral Ligament) in my left knee. I had one surgery in May 2020 at Ortho Center Gothenburg to clean up the remnants of my ACL and other structures that hindered the mechanics of my knee. In August 2020 6 months after the injury, my knee was good for running again so I decided to postpone (indefinitely?) the reconstruction of my ACL. I can jump, squat and run again 100% painfree but will be staying away from long jump and high jump in the future.
European record M45 400m with 49.61 at Sollentunavallen 2021.
Swedish record M45 300m with 35.48 at Rimnersvallen 2021. Foto: Tobias Åberg.
Gold M40 4 x 100m at the European Championships in Venice 2019. From left: Robert Kronberg, Lion Martinez, Anders Logg, Mattias Sunneborn.
With my mates Robin Gustafsson, Josef Åberg and Marcus Lidman. It’s all about the stripes!
My first Swedish championship, winning the 200m. My good friends Magnus Nilsson, Jan Erlandsson and Jonas Asplund in the background.
Team Sweden: Angel Galan, Mattias Sunneborn, Klas Skarin and Anders Logg winning the 4x200m relay at the Nordic Championships but missing the Nordic record by a close margin.
Klas Skarin passing me the baton for the last leg of the 4x200m.